Welcome to our family blog! We will use this space to post updates as the birth of our first baby grows closer and closer. After he is born, we will post updates and lots of photos of our little Noah. Keep up with us as our family grows!

Sunday, April 29, 2012

4 Month Check Up and First Food!



It has been an eventful weekend for Mr. Noah. On Friday, we went to see the Dr. for his 4 month check up. Noah measured in at 16lbs 13 ounces and 26 inches! He jumped back up in the 80th percentile for weight and height. I knew he was getting heavy because the infant car seat was REALLY heavy.

The Dr. also said that if we wanted, we could start experimenting with purees. The new recommendation is no cereal or grains until 6 months but the Dr. said that if we wanted to start with fruit or veggie purees it would be ok. Of course, starting now with purees is not meant to replace nursing or even give him any nutrition or calories but only to expose him to new tastes and textures. 

I have been thinking about making my own baby food for a while and wasn't really sure if it would be a good idea. It seemed like a lot of work. After reading more about it and talking to some friends, I decided to give it a try. I figured, it would save money and space that all those baby food jars take up and would be a special way to provide for Noah. I am sure jarred baby food is just fine but I thought this would be fun to try.

I did some research and decided I wanted to Beaba Babycook but it was pretty expensive at $120. Good thing I found one of Craigslist for $50!  So after picking it up yesterday, we chopped up a sweet potato, steamed it right int he Babycook, then used the Babycook to puree it as well. I mixed in breast milk to thin it out since it was very thick. I was able to put a fair amount into a bowl and also freeze 12 cubes of about 1 oz each for future use. It was really easy! It only took about 20 minutes total and now we have enough sweet potato to last a while since Noah won't eat large servings for a while.





We set Noah up in the high chair and gave the puree a try. He was.... less than impressed. But he made some really funny faces and it was only our first try. It can take up to 20 tries for a baby to like a food. I don't think he disliked it by any means, just thought it was weird maybe.





No comments:

Post a Comment